[SCA-Cooks] Simple and Authentic

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 21 06:03:17 PDT 2001

>So, what are people's favorite really simple period dishes?
>Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook

I just did a half-dozen or so of them for a cooking class in my Barony last
night.  The menu was:

        A Dry Stewe of Beeff  (Arundel)
        To Prepare Chicken in Rosemary  (Sabrina Welserin)
        Buttered Rootes (Elinor Fettiplace)
        Cariota (Apicius)
        Mushrooms and Leeks  (feast leftovers, I think the recipe is in The
Miscellany)
        Tart de Bry  (Forme of Cury)
        Cheese Turten (Rumpolt)
        Prince-Biskit (Hugh Platt)

I discussed with the class why period food is not (1) complicated, (2)
weird, or (3) difficult.  (Complicated = 47 steps, difficult = five of the
ingredients cannot be found in this century).  I slipped in a few comments
from my feast-prep class, a pitch for help at 12th Night, and the benefits
of using a crockpot for making several of the meat recipes.  I also pointed
out how easy it is to make period food to eat at events, either cooked there
or brought in a hamper (cooler), instead of falling back on cold cuts and
protein bars.

Then we ate, and except for two persons who could not have alcohol (skipped
the beef) and one vegetarian, everybody tried some of everything, then went
back for seconds.  I ended up with a piece of roast beef the size of my two
fists (I'm small!), and the people who were hosting had a small plate of
food (cariota, rootes, and beef the size of mine).  Someone else took the
rest of the prince-biskit for their camp to eat at Elfsea Defender this
weekend.  That was it!

The handout contained about as many again recipes, also easy ones such as
Mouton in Brewis and Losyns and one of Rumpolt's coleslaw recipes.  Someone
wanted the beef I made at North Regional Warlord - brisket roasted with
prunes and carrots, with a shot of wine vinegar - and I said I'd email her
the source.  That's another easy one I like to do, the result is very like
tzimmes.

                                            ---= Morgan

"In the dark times, will there be singing in the dark times?
  Yes, there will be singing about the dark times."
                                             (Bertolt Brecht: 1898-1956)