[SCA-Cooks] Viking cookbook

morgancain at earthlink.net morgancain at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 24 13:50:33 PDT 2001

Inga/Linda asked:

>>> I have some questions about the "Viking Cookbook" I found
>>> at the American Swedish Historical Museum gift shop on
>>> Saturday.  It is slim (50 recipes) and has beautiful
>>> pictures and looks more like a gift book than a serious
>>> cookbook. Publisher is something like SFG ....

>>> 1. It is not documented (i.e, no direct references to
>>> primary sources for recipes are listed).  Does this
>>> mean it's no good for SCA purposes?

It's OK if you are trying for effect rather than accuracy.

>>> 2. For those who have seen it, how accurate and reliable
>>> do you think it is?

Not seen it, but it sounds like a lot of folk cookbooks, which are "traditional" foods but not likely documented to pre-1600.

>>> 3. What are (and/or where can I find) the following and
>>>    what do they look and taste like:
>>> a.) bilberries (picture on facing page looks like blueberries)

That would be a close substitute.  They are another variety of berry that is native to Scandinavia.  Since the name dates to at least the 16th Century, if you find the real thing it can be argued that it's a period item.

>>> b.) swedes (apparently a kind of root vegetable.

Rutabagas.  It's the British term (like "aubergines" for eggplants).

>>> 4. Where/how does one get nettles?  What do they taste like?

Other than a wild plot of land?  They are a stem vegetable, like rhubarb.  You might check a natural food store to see if they are sold canned; I have often seen nettle tea packets or capsules, they might sell the rest of it as well.  Here is a site that gives a chart of common and botannical names:

      http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/find_lat?COM=nettle&CAN=top

OK, found while checking to see if there is a mail-order option, the site for the World Nettle-Eating Championships:
      http://www.thebottleinn.co.uk/~nettleeating/

Some more useful sites:  http://www.basicnature.com/well0799.htm
      http://uk.cambridge.org/history/features/food_history/calendar/june.htm
      http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/crops/medicinal/bkq00s07.html
      http://www.siu.edu/~ebl/leaflets/nettles.htm

OK, still no help on where to find them.

>>> 5. What (if any) are acceptable substitutions for the
>>>    aforementioned ingredients?

Blueberries for bilberries, and you should be able to get swedes (rutabagas) in shops, or substitute turnips if you'd do so for rutabagas anyway.  Not sure what substitutes for nettles.

                                  ---= Morgan

"In the dark times, will there be singing in the dark times?
  Yes, there will be singing about the dark times."
                                 (Bertolt Brecht: 1898-1956)
   Kathleen Rae - b. 9/15/01 - 7lbs 7oz - 20" - BEAUTIFUL