[Sca-cooks] REC: LARDED MILK... please read all the way through

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Mon Sep 24 17:03:50 PDT 2001

So I'm quietly sitting in my living room listening to the rain come down and
reading Scully's _Early French Cookery_.  I come across this recipe:   P.
241, ** Larded Milk**.  Larded Milk?  Am I weirded out because I am Jewish
and was raised kosher and THAT is why it never in a million years occureded
to me to lard some milk?  Or is it just a weird recipe???
Phillipa
#5     LARDED MILK

It is a refreshing change to be given a recipe which actually wants milk to
curdle!  We are sure we are not the only cooks who have, through a second's
lack of attention, have an egg and cream custard curdle unintentionally.
Though these directions seem rather complicated, the dish is really not a
difficult one to make.

The _Menagier_ calls for whole eggs, and uses cloves and pinenuts pricked
into the slices of larded milk before frying them.

(OK, I am already lost.... this is soooo werid, I can't even imagine it)

The *Viandier's version of this recipe calls for just cloves.

Yield: about 10 - 12 finger sized slices.

3 C whole milk
3-4 strips bacon
pinch saffron
3 eggs lightly beaten
1/4 C wine

Boil milk with bacon and saffron.
Add eggs & wine & cook until curdled.
Remove bacon and set aside.
Line a sieve with muslin.
Pour mixture into seive draining off as much liquid as possible.
Line a loaf pan with cheese cloth.
Place bacon strips on bottom.
Add egg mixture  & flaten down evenly w/ the back of a spoon.
On top place several layers of absorbant toweling, then a heavy object.* to
squeese out the liquid.
Repeat process until most of the moisture has been absorbed and  mixture is
firm.
Turn our onto a slicing board & slice.

10-12 cloves
10 - 12 pinenuts
1-2 tsp sugar

Prick with cloves & pinenuts.
Fry on a griddle.
Garnish with sugar and serve.
* We use another loaf pan and press down with our weight.
QUESTION:
Using this process, is one left with curds and *that* is what is fried up?