[Sca-cooks] Nettles (was viking cook book)

Louise Smithson smithson at mco.edu
Tue Sep 25 07:14:22 PDT 2001

I have to contradict you.  I am originally from the UK although now living in the US.  I have eaten nettles.  Nettles are edible but only when they are young.  I have harvested them in spring when the plants are less than 4" high.  Once you cut them down to the ground they resprout and you can cut them over and over again.  They are not eaten as a stem vegetable, more as a leaf vegetable.  The most widely available substitute is actually spinach.  Once you cook the nettles they loose their stinging property and cook way down (start off with a big bag of greens, end up with enough to feed 4 people).
Helewyse

Message: 7