[Sca-cooks] Fried Cheddar?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 25 13:16:59 PDT 2001

Adamantius - or was that Adam Ant - wrote:
>Although, to be honest, the idea of Dr. Atkins' suggestion of
>deep-fried, bacon-wrapped cheddar chunks makes me want to heave until my
>toes are sticking out my mouth...

I don't have a sweet tooth. I have a fat tooth. I love to eat sour
cream, butter, cheese, ice cream (i think i'd like it better with
less sugar in it), etc., and i love green vegetables, too. So the
Atkins diet is pretty satisfying for me.

First time i tried the Atkins diet - back in the mid-70's - i
invented "Cheese Cookies". I put smallish thickish slices of aged
cheddar on foil on a baking sheet. Put the pan under the broiler
until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the edges are crispy. Let
cool a bit so cheese sets. Peel off foil. Eat. Crunchy. Yummy...

I've been eating eggs scrambled with shredded cheddar - sometimes
with pesto and sour cream on top - along with half a pack of
applewood smoked bacon for breakfast quite often...

Alban wrote:
>  I am given to understand that Rumor Has It that the sale of fried pork
>  rinds has been higher than it used to be, because more people are eating
>  a low-carb higher-than-usual-fat-and-protein diet.
>  I'd _much_ prefer bacon-wrapped cheese nibbles than fried pork rinds...

I'm one of those pork-rind-eating people. I love potato chips, and
this is about as close as i can get - dipped in home made guacamole.

I've lost 20 pounds in the last 3 months on the Atkins diet without
adding more exercise to my regimen (which i really need to do). I'm
remaking my Elizabethan bodice - had to take it in at least 5 inches
- for a "late period" salon we're having at our Principality Coronet
this weekend. Normally i'm an early 10th century Maghribiyya/
Andalusiyya. I think i'm going to surprise some folks who are used to
seeing me in layers of loose Mamluk style tunics (Mamluk because
there aren't any surviving 10th c. Maghribi or Andalusi women's
garments).

I'm looking forward to losing more. The diet is much more balanced
than it was in the 1970's - there are lots more vegetables at every
stage, and i can even eat some fruit and keep losing weight. YMMV.

Anahita
not in the medical profession and not recommending this to anyone,
just stating personal experience