[Sca-cooks] Wassail was How old are drinking straws?

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Tue Sep 25 15:24:30 PDT 2001

I wrote:

>> My copy of "Wassail! In Mazers of Mead" G.R. Gayre Phillimore & Sons.
Ltd.
>> London 1948, page 31 figures 2 & 3 shows line drawings of "Beer drinking
>> through tubes in ancient Babylonia" and "Bottling Beer by syphon in
Ancient
>> Egypt."  Unforunately it does not give a reference to their sources.

Stefan replied:

Thanks. I don't think I remember anyone mentioning this book previously.
>It sounds like it might be good for researching some other things like
>wassail, mazers and mead.
>
>So what kinds of things does it cover? What is your opinion of it?
>
>I assume that is long out of print, though.

I think that it has been republished.  It is subtitled "An account of Mead,
Metheglin, Sack and other Ancient Liquors, and of the Mazer Cups out of
which they were drunk, with comment upon the Drinking Customs of our
forebears".   That about sums it up.  Heavy on the "primary source"
references; Rig-Veda, Virgil, Plutarch, misc. Roman.,  Homer misc. Greek ,
Beowulf, Geoffrey of Monmouth, Heimskrigla, The Mabinogion, Kalevala,
Chaucer, Hieronymus Cardanus, Shakespear, Pepys, Digbie, Milton, The Goodman
of Paris, Spenser, Rabelais to name some of the more well known.    Lots of
anthropological African sources by the way.  Oddly I don't think it
references "The Tain".

If you check the archives I quoted extensively from it in our discussion of
mazer cups a little while back.    ______________________________

Daniel Raoul