[Sca-cooks] And they think _our_ beer tastes bad

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Sun Sep 2 19:20:20 PDT 2001

""Adamantius:

""It does kind of make me wonder about what archaeological deduction
""process was applied.
""

It does make me wonder.  Some points I can come up with:

1) adding dung before the final boil would not infect the brew.
(boiling would kill the bacteria).

2) Maybe dung added that "Jen sais quoi" (sic) to the flavour profile?

3) Maybe Skara Brae men liked adding wierd stuff to their ale so they
would seem tougher.  "Watch out for Thag...he add's goats lungs to his
brew...He must be a real man!"

4) Maybe animal dung was used a fuel source.  Samples could have got
all mixed up.  You throw away your used fuel and some fermenting jars
you don't want onto the midden, and some old geezer digs it all up
4000 years later...

5) Some samples of new-born baby's poo allegedly contains high level
of monoculture saccromyces yeast.  I'm not game to experiment there...

6) Maybe Skara Brae was just one large brewery?  Perhaps beer making &
drinking was what coaleased society from hunter-gathering/simple
agriculture towards townships.

7) Perhaps the quest towards bronze age was simply to create nicer
drinking cups???

Of course, this is all "out-of-my-b**t" conjecture and is conjuring
larsen-esque visions in my head.

Drakey.....I think I'll go and lie down now...