[Sca-cooks] cherry wine/cider

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 3 01:16:00 PDT 2001

--- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:
> Cider is made from apples. Perry is made from pears.
>
> Surprisingly, I can't recall cherries (or cherry
> juice) being made
> into similar drinks. I don't mean cherry juice added
> to another
> beverage like mead.
>
> So, is there a alcoholic beverage made from
> cherries? If so, was it
> period?

Kirschwasser is a German brandy.  Its name means
"cherry water".  It is clear, almost water-like.
I prefer to cook with it rather than drink it.  If I
recall correctly, it maybe 17th century.

Cherry Heering is Danish.  It was created in 1818, by
Peter Heering.  It is a liqueur.  Very good for
sipping.

Cherry Kiafa is Swedish.  I believe it is a wine.  I
don't know its history.

Ginja d'Alcobasha [I am not sure about the spelling of
this.] is Portuguese.  This is a cherry brandy.  Very
good for drinking.  I don't know its history.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.