[Sca-cooks] Responsibilities

Tara tsersen at nni.com
Mon Sep 3 07:18:06 PDT 2001

> << Family & work & "adult" responsibilities comes before play.  >>
> Possibly 'honor,' 'keeping one's word,' 'being dependable,' and 'community
> obligation,' might supersede any of the above for many of us.

I agree with you Ras.  I guess we simply differ in application.
Personally, I consider my obligation to my social community to be pretty
high, second only to my family community.  I think it's pretty darned
dishonorable of me to forego a family commitment for social fun.  And,
if my family can't depend on me, why for goodness sake should my friends
feel they should?  We're not talking about bailing on a feast to go to a
three year olds birthday party.  We're talking about important family
commitments, and I think it's extremely dishonorable, a breach of ones
word, undependable and a breach of community obligation to stick it to
your family in favor of a game.  Yes, you've made promises to friends.
In lighter circumstances, it's dishonorable to break those promises.
But, for most (though obviously not all) of us, it's far more
dishonorable to neglect our families and other mundane responsiblities.

-Magdalena