[Sca-cooks] Cider

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Sep 3 07:55:11 PDT 2001

Phil Anderson wrote:
> Brighid writes:
>

>>Yes, cider is period.  Most cider would have been hard cider, since
>>they lacked the preservatives that prevent sweet cider from
>>fermenting.
>>

> They probably also lacked any inclination to prevent it :-)
>
> I'm curious as to when the US began to use "cider" to refer to a non-
> alcoholic drink -- does anyone know if it was before Prohibition?

Hmmm. There were some pretty powerful waves of Temperance Union activity
long before the Volstead Act of 1919. I wonder what activity was like
around the time the Federal government established Thanksgiving as a
legal holiday in the U.S. ... am I right in thinking that Thanksgiving
represents a pretty large focal point for the consumption of
non-alcoholic cider in the U.S., as well as not representing nearly as
much in the way of usage for the hard cider that was a standard local
beverage in many parts of the country? I guess what I'm wondering is if
Thanksgiving has become _more_ associated with non-alcoholic cider than
with hard cider, and has this situation ever been different?

Adamantius (interested in food-marketing trends in relation to things
like refrigerated railway cars)
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com