[Sca-cooks] cherry wine/cider

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 3 20:19:59 PDT 2001

On 3 Sep 2001, at 22:01, Volker Bach wrote:

> This may be enough to being me before HUAC,

Which was abolished in 1975, and I think you're out of its
jurisdiction, anyway.

> but what exactly is Martha Washington's booke of
> Cookerie? I always assumed it was some kind of
> manuscript published by patriotic homemakers. Now
> it contains 200-year-old recipe collections?

It is a family cookbook which was inherited by Martha Washington.
 It is not dated, but the recipes appear to be from Tudor/Jacobean
England.  There is a published edition, with copious notes by
Karen Hess.  It's worth the price just for the notes, which go into
marvelous detail on late-period ingredients, cooking terms,
equipment, and procedures.

> puzzled
>
> Giano

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom