[Sca-cooks] Re: Royal whims

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Sep 4 12:47:49 PDT 2001

Dunbar, Debra wrote:

> Likewise, when the whole elf-ear thing at Pennsic was such a big deal, I
> once had a long conversation with such a poor deformed creature (obviously
> terribly poor from the rags that barely covered her body).  I advised her
> where she could find some kind monks who would feed her, find her some warm
> clothing and take care of her medical needs, despite her terrible
> disfigurements.  From her response, she was clearly wandering in her mind -
> from chill and lack of nourishment, no doubt.

Ah, yes, Pennsic XXV. During that same year, I had a lovely conversation
with one of those pseudo-Stoker vampires, who contended that all they
needed for full integraton with SCA activity was period German garb. I
agreed that there was folkloric support for such a claim, and all they
needed was a slight additional behavioral modification: a proper period
German vampire lies in the grave 24/7, quietly chewing his shroud and
being blamed for any convenient cholera epidemics, after which he is dug
up, noted to be free of corruptive decay in spite of massive appearance
changes and a horrible smell, and suitably burned.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com