[Sca-cooks] a grain question- probably OOP

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 5 06:46:58 PDT 2001

Laura C. Minnick wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> Does anyone know what is 'kaffircorn'?

Sorghum. Kaffir more or less denotes "South African" (I think Kaffirs
are originally a sub-group of the Bantu); sorghum is one of the dominant
grains in South Africa, and it is also grown in the U.S. It looks
vaguely like maize; it has a fruiting body with clusters of kernels on a
central "ear" like maize. I _think_ that some of the alleged pictures of
maize that have been found that ante-date Columbus may in fact be of
sorghum.

> The context- I'm working my way through a bunch of family records trying
> to document a picture I recently got, and at the moment, I'm reading
> through my Great-Grandfather's diary. He was a farmer and Mennonite
> Pastor, having come to the US from Russia (the family is German though-
> long story). They later went to Canada, but where I'm reading now it's
> 1897 and they are in Oklahoma. The diary entries are fascinating (I
> already read how he built the sod house) though terse and rather sad
> sometimes (many, many deaths, especially children). But I have noticed
> that he keeps talking about this kaffircorn that he picks, and I'm not
> familiar with the term. And what is 'stooking'? it's something they do
> to corn...

And this is, overall, in what language? It sounds vaguely Dutch or
Dutch-influenced. As I recall, a Stück is a stick or a piece, sometimes
a slice, in German, so I wonder if it's a cutting term, like threshing.

> A chuckle- fussing because his wife went along into town and blew $2 on
> a new corset. Such luxury! ;-) But then when your wheat goes for $.71 a
> bushel and the crop fetches $21.06, I suppose two bucks is a pretty big
> thing...

Well, yes, I'm sure 10% of income that he/they literally sweated for on
something like a corset would be considered a bit outrageous. On the
other hand, I'll bet she looked great in it, and he forgot the whole thing.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com