[Sca-cooks] Kvas

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 5 07:24:17 PDT 2001

Nicolas Steenhout wrote:
> When I made Kvas, I didn't know I was about to make lethal weapons!
>
> Granted, it's likely more the mistakes of an over enthusiastic brewing 20
> year old than kvas' fault...
>
> I actualy put the raisin in, then capped...
>
> Within a week or so, I heard bombs go off in the cool storage where my
> brews were stored.  I didn't dare go in there for another few days, as they
> kept on exploding and making mean sounds.
>
> When I went in, I had glass debris all over, some stuck to the ceiling,
> some to the walls, with dried up kvas, and in some places, I could identify
> left over raisin!
>
> None of the other brews I did turned out that way...  <shrug>

I suspect that the kvass itself wasn't finished fermenting before
bottling. When I tried this, using raisins (which turned back into
grapes in the process), I think we had one buster, and the others were
fine. The single explosion we had may have been a fault in the bottle,
or extra-sweet raisins, something like that.

I found that the stuff was drinkable, but not that good, after about ten
days in the bottle, excellent after two weeks, and then downhill from
there. But yes, very different from beer. More like a mint-flavored
small ale.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy