[Sca-cooks] Period food myths

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Sep 6 20:50:29 PDT 2001

Ok- I missed the beginning of this thread. Is this things that are *not*
period, or so you think? Because AFAIK-

Squash is in the House of Cerruti text. It's period.

'French Toast' is in a number of 14th-15th c cookbooks, under different
names. It's period.

Melons are Old World- and they also show up in the House of Cerruti
book. They're period.

Sweet oranges are not period but bitter ones are, and so are lemons
(awfully hard to make those lovely lemon syrup jalabs without, yes?).

Filberts are period. And I believe there are Old World varieties of
walnut too. Black walnuts are not.

'Lainie is tired and needs a drink.