[Sca-cooks] Six and counting

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Fri Sep 7 05:45:37 PDT 2001

Depends on the state.  In Virginia, the law says that if a couple lives together
for 7 years, it's what is called a Common Law marriage.  However, in Maryland,
there is no such law, so technically, we still aren't married.  For a really
weird one, a lawyer friend of mine told me that in Washington, D. C., if a couple
registers at a hotel and spends the night together, that that is considered
Common Law!!

Kiri