[Sca-cooks] Raw vs. cooked foods, was: Period food myths

Tara tsersen at nni.com
Fri Sep 7 09:53:00 PDT 2001

Jadwiga mentioned the food myth that people didn't eat raw fruits and
vegetables in period.  I'd love to discuss this one a bit more!

I've argued that one more from a logical perspective than a documentable
one.  While there may not be much discussion of raw food in menus, if
you're out working in the orchard and get hungry, wouldn't you eat an
apple?  Or, if you're travelling, most raw fruit and veggies travel much
better than most cooked ones.  So, I would doubt that people never ate
stuff raw.  Plus, well, sometimes raw fruit and veggies are yummy.  I'm
sure people figured that out.  I'm sure that poor people would have
stockpiled fuel through the summer, and would therefore have cooked less
then.

However, I know of little menu documentation for *serving* foods raw,
which is why I generally avoid it in my own practice.  This, too, makes
sense from a period perspective.  Everything from the earth is given to
us to perfect.  We must cook it or prepare it to make it worthy, such is
our duty under God.  So, if you were trying to impress people, it would
be with prepared food, not raw food.  Even things that I can think of
that weren't cooked were still prepared in some respect.

Of course, my research is palsy compared to that of many of you!  :)
So, I'd appreciate being told if I'm off track.

-Magdalena