[Sca-cooks] Raw vs. cooked foods, was: Period food myths

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 7 15:31:11 PDT 2001

On 7 Sep 2001, at 12:53, Tara wrote:

> However, I know of little menu documentation for *serving* foods raw,
> which is why I generally avoid it in my own practice.

The _Arte de Cortar_ (The Art of Carving) by Enrique de Villena,
1423, contains instructions for carving various fruits and vegetables.
 In many cases, he explains how to carve a particular foodstuff if it
is to be served raw.  For example, carrots.

Villena was a courtier, and he was writing for the instruction of
gentlemen who would be serving in a noble household, so I think
we can take this as an indication that some fruits and veggies were
served raw in a formal dining situation.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net