[Sca-cooks] Tentative Boar Hunt Menu

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 11 12:10:30 PDT 2001

Gwen Cat wrote:
>I have been swamped so the digests have been sitting unopened.  I am sorry if
>you have been trying to find me.  Please direct mail me at grasse at mscd.edu
>
>Anahita,
>
>your menu sounds yummy!!! how close to the outlands aren't you???

I'm in the Kingdom of the West, Principality of the Mists, Province
of the Mists - i.e., The East Bay of the San Francisco Bay Area - not
close to The Outlands, unfortunately.

And i owe thanks to you, Gwen Cat, for your translation of Ein Buch
von Guter Spise. I'm working up the recipes i've chosen from there on
my own. I also owe thanks to Alia Atlas for Das Buch von Sabina
Welserin, and Volker Bach for translations from several other
sources. And, of course, the list in general for discussions of
tongue, mushrooms, and so many other foods, as well as techniques,
etc.

>Im not sure if this translation was accurate in period, but at least in modern
>German Erd Nussen are Peanuts.  The literal translation would be nuts of the
>earth.
>I will check my nice dictionary tonight at home, and Entschuldige bitte if I
>am repeating or making the tangle worse.  And if you have any questions PLEASE
>please email me direct or put my name in the title line.

We discussed this on list and indications are that are that "erd
nussen" are not peanuts, but what they
  are in period is uncertain.

I will post recipes to the list, and on my website, after the feast,
which is tentatively December 15th, so don't hold your breaths. I'll
be getting most of my meat from a butcher who is a SCAdian from whom
i got the pork legs last year... good to the last scrap...

I've already altered the menu a bit, but won't glut the list with
changes until i'm more certain what i'm making.

Still searching for German mushroom recipes. Anyone?

Anahita

RE: Pentagon and World Trade Center tragedies:
SF is pretty much shut down and trans-bay public transit service has
been reduced, but here in the East Bay it's as normal as it can be
under the circumstances. All California State government buildings
are closed and all California State Universities are closed - we have
THREE separate state university systems, only this one is shut. The
University of California system - which includes UC-Berkeley and UCLA
- is open. Some California search-and-rescue teams, especially those
with dogs trained to find people in buildings collapsed in
earthquakes, have been called to NYC.