[Sca-cooks] Giving blood

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 11 18:25:07 PDT 2001

Stefan, at age 16, Misha may be too young to give blood.

People should not give if they have health reasons.  Remember, you cannot
give if you have spent a total of six (6) months in the UK between 1980 and
1996.  That is a cumulative amount.

I try to give regularly, I am turned away about two out of three times,
usually for low iron.  Strange given the amount of red meat, raisins, and
spinach I eat, but I am a small person.  Interestingly, in Texas my BP is
acceptable while in Illinois it was too low.

My congregation had its quarterly blood drive scheduled for the coming
Sunday, and we received notice that it is still on.  Given the long lines at
the blood centres around here, and the ones at the two stadia set up for
draws, I think I'll wait until then.  Maybe double my iron-bearing foods in
the meanwhile.

And if you cannot give now, due to temporary illness or the inability to
wait 2-7 hours on line, wait a few days.  The need will not lessen, and
blood can be stored only so long.  Unfortunately, the need will probably be
as great on Thursday or Monday, and the lines may be shorter.

                                    ---= Morgan

"English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other
languages down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets
for loose grammar."
                                                            --- Unknown