[Sca-cooks] chili peppers

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Sep 13 06:58:09 PDT 2001

So, as I collected the mail yesterday I was again bemused by my chili
pepper planting in the flowerbox, now that they are covered with flowers
or little baby peppers. The label that came in the 4-pack said Red Chili
Peppers. It might also say Mexican somewhere in there--I'm a little muzzy
this morning. It's the cat's fault.

In any case, it doesn't have a varietal name, either in English or in
Latin. The pepper plants themselves are about a foot tall, with small
leaves (compared to the bell pepper, anyway) and the peppers are smallish,
about an inch or so long. They're not serrano chilis--they taper too much
and aren't really long enough for serranos. They look kind of like the
peppers that you get in Chicago-style hot dogs. White flowers with very
pointy petals. I am waiting for some of them to be ripe (the label
implies that they will get red eventually), so I haven't tried any
yet. Anybody have any idea what kind of peppers I have, how hot I might
expect them to be, and what I can use them for?

Margaret FitzWilliam