[Sca-cooks] FW: TRIBUTE TO AMERICA

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Sep 13 23:32:19 PDT 2001

Nanna said:
> > Published in 1973. Just as relevant today imo.
>
> Is it? Where are those "lands that are gloating over America's troubles"?
> None of the countries mentioned in this tribute is, that's for sure. Which
> European newspapers are writing about "decadent, warmongering Americans"?
>
> Look, the world is very much different from what it was in 1973. Americans
> may not have had much support or sympathy towards the end of the Vietnam war
> but they do now, believe me. Don't destroy it by distributing things like
> this. I fully understand why many Americans will find this tribute
> appropriate or even quite wonderful, but it is a bitter and undeserved
> insult for your allies in the rest of the world.
>
> And that's the only thing I have to say about this. My American friends,
> please accept my deepest and most sincere condolences for your loss.

Thank you Nanna for your condolances.

Folks, this message, which I've seen on various mail lists today, is NOT
what Gordon Sinclair said. I believe these words are from a song that
may have been changed somewhat from what he originally said.

The following message was posted to the Ansteorra list.

Stefan

> From: "Morgan Buchanan" <morganbuchanan at hotmail.com>
> To: ansteorra at ansteorra.org
> Subject: Re: [Ansteorra] America appreciated (off topic)
> Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 16:55:04 -0500

> Gordon Sinclair indeed did say wonderfuly good things about America.
> However, the context of them had nothing to do with our recent attack.  Mr.
> Sinclair's origianl pro-American editorial comments were made in 1973, and
> he died in 1984.  A full story on him can be found on http://www.snopes2.com
> and do a search on Gordon Sinclair.  It's an interesting story, and you can
> figure out what was actually said by Gordon and what parts of the message
> below were not attributable to him, regardless of their truth.
>
> Yours,
> Lord Morgan Buchanan

The actual speech was posted to the Ansteorra list but I can't find
it now. Thus the "message below were not attributable" comment. The
digestifier may have stripped it out. I get messages at work and
the digest here at home.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net