[Sca-cooks] Sekunjabin question

sca-cooks-l sca-cooks-l at drakkar.org
Thu Sep 13 23:57:14 PDT 2001

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote in a message to All:

 le> I recently made my first batch of sekanjabin (about 3 quarts of
 le> syrup for an event), and i have a few comments:

 le> I really really did NOT like the taste of cider vinegar in it. Next
 le> time i will use white wine vinegar. Apples are not particularly
 le> common in the Near East, but grapes are, and there were plenty of
 le> Muslims drinking wine throughout the Near East. I suspect Near
 le> Eastern vinegar was not cider vinegar, but grape based vinegar.

I always use distilled white wine vinegar and fresh mint and generally make
about a gallon and half of syrup at a time. It works out nicely for a 5lb bag
of sugar and the amount of vinegar is easy to deal with as well, I can look up
the exact ratio but it is based upon Duke Cariadoc's and Mistress Thora's
recipes.

 le> I used His Grace, Lord Cariadoc's proportions, and then reduced the
 le> amount of sugar and increased the amount of mint and vinegar, and
 le> it was still waaaay too sweet for my taste. And, yes, i diluted it,
 le> extremely, before drinking it (like, a tsp or two of syrup to 8 oz.
 le> water). I'll probably also add verjus, as some i've found is rather
 le> drinkable to my taste, or Middle Eastern sour grape juice.

The usual dilution is 10:1 up to 12:1. That works out to less than a teaspoon
for an 8oz glass.

Haraldr Bassi, Frosted Hills, East
haraldr at drakkar.org

Dave Calafrancesco, Team OS/2
dave at drakkar.org

... They got the library at Alexandria, they're not getting mine!