[Sca-cooks] extended family

alm4 at cornell.edu alm4 at cornell.edu
Fri Sep 14 06:38:10 PDT 2001

When the horrible wtc tragedy occurred Tuesday I was on my way from the
doctor to work, and was grumbling about having blood drawn at 7:30 in the
morning and stopped at home to drop my dog off before going to work
because we aren't allowed to bring dogs to work.

I saw the first tower burning and I think I heard about the second plane
hitting and I thought I wonder if any of my cousins are there, or my
brothers in-laws, who come to find out are all in the Bronx.

I proceeded to work because they are so anal about missing any time.
Still thinking that my family was probably ok.  Then once I got to work I
found out 3 or 4 people (out of 40) had family or friends who were
affected.  I also heard from home that my family in NJ that lives about
20 minutes from the city don't work there.

I still wasn't registering how much this could affect me.  We were
allowed to go home and work if we wished.  I went home.  I still didn't
think this was affecting me very much.  Then I got home and I started
receiving e-mail from all the lists I am on, mostly SCA lists.  Then I
realized that there may have been 'family' that  I only see  at SCA
gatherings, some only once a year at Pennsic who may have been there.  I
know lots of people in the SCA but have no idea what they do mundanely or
even where they live.

It was a shock to me to realize that I thought of SCAdians as family, but
it was a joy to hear the people checking in and saying, "i'm okay".

	Angeline