[Sca-cooks] we do care

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 14 09:36:29 PDT 2001

Hrolf Douglasson wrote:

> We also are in mourning...this was an attack which could have happened
> anywhere. Our f;ags are at half mast.

I'm tempted to tease you on the typo and make a joke about cigarettes, but I
don't have the heart to do it.

> The Changing of the Guard at
> Buckingham Palace included the American National Anthum and a two minute
> silence....the first time EVER.

This has me completely staggered.  WOW.  Don't think that Americans will not
have any idea what a huge tribute this is.

> there will be a 3 min silence accross europe today. There are people in this
> counrty whe are still waiting to hear from loved ones and those who know
> that they are dead.
> I for one am hurt by the comments from the news paper even if written
> in1973. They have no place in our world now.

> Unfortunately we are used to terrorist attacks and threats. I was on duty at
> the hospital when we were told to prepare for 2000 wounded thank god that
> one was a hoax. And I was in Singapore during Vietnam...My parents looking
> after a lot of American lads who were missing home and family.
> WE DO CARE. THAT WAS UNCALLED FOR. STRIKE AT YOUR ENEMIES NOT YOUR FRIENDS.
> EVEN WHEN HURT.
> VARA

Sigh, sorry about that.  You and Nanna and our other overseas friends have done
a lot in the past months as well as days to convince us otherwise.  Here's
hoping that we can fight such xenophobia together.

Terrorism is terrifying, even when one is not the target.  I was in England in
1979 when Montbatten was killed, what a surreal holiday that was.  The World
Science Fiction Convention the following week went on in Brighton, but everyone
was a bit subdued and gentle -- at least until party time. Gads, did we need it!

Selene, Caid