[Sca-cooks] Spice question

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Fri Sep 14 14:47:51 PDT 2001

Glenn asked:
> For a feast next weekend I want to make "Potage of Roysons". It ask for
> galingale spice, I have never hear of it. What is it, and where can I find
> it? It there a substitution the can be used?

Check this file in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section of the
Florilegium:
galangale-msg     (19K)  3/23/01    Period use of the spice galangale.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/galangale-msg.html

I think this file might also have some reasonable substitutions.

I have found it in powdered form at Asian markets. It is also available
from the Pepperer's Guild but theirs is in chunks rather than powder.
There is some mention that this is a very hard spice that can tear
up regular spice grinders, though.

It is also called some other names than galengale. I think some of
these are listed in this file.

I'm not sure if you will be able to get it in time, but this file
lists some spice merchants that carry it:
merch-spices-msg  (31K)  1/18/01    Spice merchants. Reviews and
recommendations
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/merch-spices-msg.html

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net