[Sca-cooks] Catholic/Christian, was: The Fallwell/Robertson statements

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 15 20:01:06 PDT 2001

Just to clarify... not to start another holy war, here...

We do not consider the Church Fathers to be holy writ, just wise.

And I have been told several times about this "don't read the Bible"
thing by people who cannot then explain why I have half a dozen copies,
personally, including my father's and my grandmother's, why the
Catholics translated it into English at the same time as the King James
version (Though I agree he had better poets... I read that one for
language...), why my grandfather said it was the only book in his home
so he read it three times through by the time he was 12.

We have never, in fact, been forbidden to read it. By anyone. We
certainly are not now. We are encouraged to read it ourselves, and there
are three readings from it at every Mass. However, the other story
persists. It seems to hang on from the time when all copies were in
Latin, because anyone could read had read Latin. Literacy began to
spread, and speeded up with the printing press, and suddenly you had
many people who read their own language, but not Latin... It did take
the church a bit long to catch up with that social change. But reading
was still not forbidden, just not made as easy as it might have been.

Anne