[Sca-cooks] Catholic/Christian, was: The Fallwell/Robertson statements

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Sep 16 05:35:45 PDT 2001

Druighad at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/15/01 4:31:27 PM Central Daylight Time, tsersen at nni.com
> writes:
>
> << You shall not suffer a sorceress to live." >>
>
> do you know, I have read this and researched it in various places and the
> original text said "Thou shalt not suffer an ASSASSIN to live?" funny how
> when men in religious places high, and mighty change their texts to reflect
> their own views....
> And No I don't remember where I first came across that historical bit and
> it's been so long that I couldn't even begin to backtrack.

Gotta back you up *mostly* on that one. I understand it says 'poisoner'
as opposed to sorceress. For one thing, it is not a gendered word as is
the English (anyone else notice the sex-specificity of this?), but it is
alos a word that implied someone who makes stuff to kill someone.

Interesting bit hough- in the Middle Ages, one of the most heinous
crimes was for someone to kill his liege lord or for a woman to poison
her husband. Those were crimes for which one was burnt. Interesting that
it is the same punishment for a supposed 'witch'.

Yeah, I'm up. Having problems breathing again.

'Lainie