[Sca-cooks] Catholic/Christian, was: The Fallwell/Robertson statements

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Sun Sep 16 10:55:49 PDT 2001

Michael Newton schrieb:

> HMMMMM that is strange because, ASSASSIN is a Muslim concept unknown to the
> West until the Crusades, at least as I was taught and read.

It's an arabic word, but I think the concept
behind it was different then and now. That the
idea of assassination was well known to Europe
before the Crusades could be witnessed to by
several Roman Emperors and at least one Frankish
bishop, had they not served as examples of its
application. However, the application of the
modern idea in the biblical context would surprise
me. My guess is that the text at some level meant
'poisoner' or 'user of harmful magic' which, to
many cultures, went hand in hand so closely that
linguistic distinctions were paper-thin.

If someone with a wider scriptural knowledge than
me can give us the coordinates of this line we
could probably do something worthwhile here...

Giano