[Sca-cooks] grain mold

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Sep 16 13:54:32 PDT 2001

Dupaigne in The History of Bread discusses this
as part of the section on "The Communion Wafer."
He states that "On October 28, 1848, before the
Berlin Academy of Science, the German naturalist
Gottfried Ehrenberg (1795-1876) proved that the
phenomenon of the so-called bleeding Host was due
simply to a bacteria later named Bacillus prodigiosus."
[pages 32-33] It was important to identify the reason
for the "bleeding of the wafers" because in numerous
instances where it had occurred, the response was to burn
as many Jews as possible, because it was wrongly believed
that they alone were responsible. Six Thousand Years of
Bread by H. E. Jacob discusses Ehrenberg's work and that
of  F. J. Cohn  on pages 168-172.

Johnnae llyn Lewis
Johnna Holloway

(By the way, I am working on a new work on wafers with recipes for
publication next spring. I last did "wafers" in TI #62 and #63
which was only 19 years ago.)