[Sca-cooks] Pear recipe, was: Falwell/Robertson are NOT Christians

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Sat Sep 15 11:31:43 PDT 2001

On Sun, 16 Sep 2001 13:33:33 -0600 Sue Clemenger <mooncat at in-tch.com>
writes:
>....anybody got any especially good period recipes for
>pears

    This is hands down my very favourite 'period' dessert.

Quyncis or Wardouns in past (Two Fifteenth Century)

     Take and make fayre Rounde cofyns of fayre past; than take fayre Raw
Quynces, and pare hem with a knyf, and take fayre out the core ther-of;
than take Sugre y-now, and a lytel pouder Gyngere, and stoppethe hole
fulle; and cowche .ij. or .iij. wardonys or quynces in a cofyn and kerue
hem and lat hem bake; and for defaut of Sugre, take hony; but then putte
pouder Pepir ther-on, and Gyngere, in the manor be-for sayd.

      We first made this in '87 and '88 at Lady Angharad's cooking
sessions in Black Diamond (Atlantia).  We tried coring the pears and
putting the ginger-sugar in the holes of the cores, and putting them all
in a pie shell, but that was not very pleasing ... (Now I'm wondering if
each pear is in dough.)

     We also tried doing a pie more like a 'modern' pie.  If I make this
for a feast I normally tweak the recipe enough to make it a two-crust
pie; it holds up better for serving.

      This is the redaction:

   Your favourite pie dough recipe, rolled into pan
    4-5 really flavourful pears
    6 tablespoons sugar
    1 teaspoon powdered ginger

    Pare and slice pears.  Mix sugar and ginger.  Spread slices in bottom
shell in layers, alternate layers of pears and layers of spice. Cover
with top pie crust or not, as you please.  Bake at 350 degrees for 50
minutes.  Yum, yum, yum!