[Sca-cooks] This Is The Story Of A Dinner

Peters, Rise J. rise.peters at spiegelmcd.com
Mon Sep 17 05:45:19 PDT 2001

Giano asked "does it ever get better"?

Well.... yes... if only because you don't make the same mistakes twice<g>.
That doesn't mean you don't make mistakes, though, because there is an
almost infinite series of possible mistakes to draw from!

What do you bet "check the availability of your fuel source" is on your
to-do list next time?  It's on my list ever since we showed up to cook once
without enough propane.

"Start cooking even earlier than you think you need to" will also be on your
list as it is on many of ours...  For a 6 p.m. feast, we generally pre-cook
some stuff the night before, and then start in the kitchen at 10 or 11 or
so.  That gives us plenty of time to be relatively leisurely.  Of course,
that also means that when the first course is ready to be served at 6, and
court runs over by an hour, the cooking staff is fretting.

> and cabbage instead of spinach.

Around here at least that would be a popular substitution.

> it worked. I chose to turn the Bruet into a stew
> and forwent pureeing the peas to get the food to
> our starving Shire (we had optimistically
> announced the entree for 6pm, having started
> cooking at 4pm.

Flexibility, and audacity, rule the day.  Well done!

=Cait