[Sca-cooks] Paschal Beets

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Sep 17 08:44:45 PDT 2001

Jennifer Whitbeck wrote:

> Sounds like a food myth begging to be de-bunked. Any
> takers? ;->

Not me. I reported it in good faith from a source I have no reason not
to trust. As to the whys and wherefores, however, I'm at a loss.

> I think I've heard of the beet too, maybe because of
> the color???

Actually, the color, and the red juice, makes some sense as a lamb
substitute.

> I suspect that if we look we'll find some groups that
> use a beet, some that use a yam, and yet a few other
> options out there.

Almost certainly, unless there's some established vegetarian seder
protocol that applies to all Jews, which seems unlikely.
Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com