[Sca-cooks] Paschal Beets

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon Sep 17 09:02:55 PDT 2001

> > Sounds like a food myth begging to be de-bunked. Any
> > takers? ;->
>
> Not me. I reported it in good faith from a source I have no reason not
> to trust. As to the whys and wherefores, however, I'm at a loss.
> >
> > I think I've heard of the beet too, maybe because of
> > the color???
>
> Actually, the color, and the red juice, makes some sense as a lamb
> substitute.
>
> > I suspect that if we look we'll find some groups that
> > use a beet, some that use a yam, and yet a few other
> > options out there.
>
> Almost certainly, unless there's some established vegetarian seder
> protocol that applies to all Jews, which seems unlikely.
> Adamantius

The rabbi (I initially wrote "rabbit", thanks so much ;-)) who explained
the whole vegetarian option to me said that pretty much anything roasted
would work, but a beet was preferred. I suppose beet juice looks more like
lamb's blood than carrot juice does.

I still want to know about the "Onslaught of the Paschal Beet"--it sounds
like a bad horror flick. ;-)

Margaret, who makes 40-garlic chicken and flourless chocolate cake for her
Seders