[Sca-cooks] tribute OT

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Sep 17 10:34:40 PDT 2001

Lucrezia said:
> > The Changing of the Guard at
> > Buckingham Palace included the American National Anthem and a two minute
> > silence....the first time EVER.
>         This has me completely staggered.  WOW.  Don't think that Americans
> will not
>         have any idea what a huge tribute this is.
>
> At the memorial service in St Paul's, the American National Anthem was
> played before the British National Anthem, as suggested by the Queen.
> Another tribute of the highest order.

I am touched by this show of support and solidarity by the British.
Even more so because the American National Anthem (the Star Spangled
Banner) was written by an American prisoner observing the British
assualt on an American fort during the War of 1812. Things have
certainly changed in the last two centuries.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net