[Sca-cooks] This Is The Story Of A Dinner

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Mon Sep 17 12:13:14 PDT 2001

"Mark.S Harris" schrieb:

> Giano asked:
> > If anyone wants any of the recipes, please tell
> > me. I'm still too knackered to type much.
>
> Yes, I'd like to see your recipe for:
> Halbe Eyren (filled egg halves in a honey-vinegar
> sauce, Niederdeutsches Kochbuch after Trude
> Ehlert)
>
> These sound like they would be good for a dayboard/revel
> except they also sound messy.

Sadly, they are no good for a dayboard as they are
by far better served hot and are, indeed, a tad on
the messy side.

Basically you take hard-boiled eggs, halve them
lengthwise and scoop out the yolks. Then the
whites are placed in an ovenproof dish, the yolks
processed with raw egg (one for each four or
five), sage, spearmint, pepper, salt and a touch
of saffron (go easy on the spearmint) and replaced
with a teaspoon.
Then you make a sauce/batter thing out of raw egg
(two for each 4-6 boiled eggs), vinegar (2 tblsp
per raw egg going in) and honey (one tblsp per)
and season it with salt, pepper and saffron. (I
have the suspicion that the saffron just adds
color, which means you could use curcuma or just
leace it out if you, like me, use dark balsamic
vinegar which kills any kind of appealing color
this sauce could have)
Pour the sauce between the eggs (not on them) and
bake the whole thing at high temp (~400°F) for
just long enough to get the sauce to solidify. I
think it would go well with fresh chives or
parsley sprinkled on top.

YIS

Giano