[Sca-cooks] OT Authenticity Police: since we're castigating

upsxdls_osu at ionet.net upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Tue Sep 18 12:41:22 PDT 2001

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 14:26:22 -0400 you wrote:

> upsxdls_osu at ionet.net wrote:
> > Well, you've hit one of MY buttons with this.
> >
> > I'm a seamstress for our local group, and often help newcomers with beginner
> > garb.
>
> I can sympathize entirely. Every so often you make an informed decision
> to go with an option that is perhaps less accurate, but is in some way
> more practical. Sometimes you have to look at the number of people
> you've gotten to play the game, some of whom may have decided to do more
> in the way of authenticity than you, and wonder if you'd have had the
> success you had if you'd been more of a stickler.
>
> On the other hand, arranging your situation specifically as to limit the
> number of times you have to make this choice (i.e. instead of leaving
> out the tomatoes from a non-period recipe, find a period recipe instead
> which won't include tomatoes in any case), would be even better. Not all
> of the more period optins are necessarily any more difficult or less
> practical.
Since I only volunteer two pieces of garb (t-tunic and trews) and got the
patterns from the Known World Handbook, I decided I was close enough for
beginners. I can't afford linen, silk or wool, so I use unbleached cotton for
tunics and unknown blends for trewes. Usually, these newcomers haven't heard
about personna.  So, I get them started, then when they choose their own time
period and place, I have a list of seamstresses who do more advanced garb.
(They also charge real money for labor and you have to buy your own
fabric/patterns/trim, etc.etc. etc.) By the Way, I'd be glad to sew linen,
silk, velvet or anything else anyone else wants to purchase - if you want a t-
tunic or trews.  I've made a couple of beautiful dresses out of beautiful and
expensive fabric.  But they're probably less period than the t-tunics and
trewes.  I doubt Simplicity or McCalls does period.  I have sources for period
patterns, but at $25+ per shot, I'm not going there - yet.

> And above all, don't let people get into that crrrrthapp about "Well,
> since I can't find the period yeast strains to get that ale exactly
> right, I'm gonna make chocolate raspberry stout instead. From a kit! You
> didn't grow your own flax, did you? etc., etc." [Bleah!]
>
> Adamantius, not much of a stickler but has his moments

Also, I can turn out a set of tunic & trews on a Saturday morning by myself. I
spent over 20 hours working on a dress - once.

Liadan, who'd rather cook anyway, but loves to watch the children play