[Sca-cooks] Re: Jannissary Cooks

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Wed Sep 19 07:01:36 PDT 2001

Susan Laing schrieb:

> Giano scribed....
>
> >Aga - tactical commander of the Orta (roughlybatallion equivalent)
> >Djorbajibashi (head soup cook) - administrative officer in charge of the
> >Orta
> >Kethuda and Obadashi - tactical officers subordinate to the Aga
> >Adjibashi (head cook), Sakkabashi (head water bearer) Wekelikhardj (food
> >fund manager)
>
> Oooohhhh - period cooking garb!!! <drool!>
>
> Giles/Drakie/Mel - wanna find some pictures/ clothes discriptions and see if
> they're specy enough for the Lochac Event Catering Corp??? ;-)

There is an Osprey Elite Series book (by David
Nicolle IIRC) called The Janissaries that's full
of pictures and has a set of modern reconstruction
color plates in the middle. I don't know how good
the text is (if I'm right about David Nicolle that
should be no worry, but some of the Osprey stuff
is definitely below par), but the pictures should
be worth getting it. The price should come out
around $20 if you can't get your library to get it
for you.

Giano