[Sca-cooks] Authenticity Police: since we're castigatingextremists anyway...

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Wed Sep 19 10:52:42 PDT 2001

Anahita wrote:

> Oh, no, another non-food message. Uh, uh, is there some customary
> article worn in some kingdoms or baronies, etc. as emblematic of fine
> period chefs?

There isn't anything done kingdom-wide in Atlantia, but a Barony I once
lived in had a badge for their Cooks' Guild.  Apprentices could display
the badge on their aprons, etc.  Journeymen displayed the badge with the
addition of a silver border.  Masters added a gold border to that
displayed as a Journeyman.

> The "folded sleeve" Janissary hat has a special brass holder in the
> front for an elaborate plume or for a wooden spoon. Among the most
> respected members of a particular group of Janissaries were the two
> men who carried the HUGE bronze/copper cooking pot. They had a
> specific outfit so they were readily identified.

Hmmmm.....that sounds like a great idea!  Maybe we should look into
something like that for Master cooks to wear?  but then we'd have to sort
out how to determine who's a master cook and who isn't, wouldn't we?  And
given some of the discussions I've seen on this list, I wouldn't want to
go there with this group!!!

Kiri