[Sca-cooks] Cheese Making

chirhart_1 chirhart_1 at netzero.net
Wed Sep 19 20:50:40 PDT 2001

Indeed.. chirhart
----- Original Message -----
From: "C M Bucheger" <cmbucheger at mail.wireweb.net>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2001 3:44 PM
Subject: [Sca-cooks] Cheese Making

Recently there was some discussion about cheese making and some of the
additives that are required, specifically the calcium- something or another
that someone asserted that without, the curds would not come if using
homogenized milk.  I was a little puzzled by this as I've made a couple of
batches of cheese using unhomogenized and homogenized milk from a local
nonhormones-and-other-additives dairy and also a regular gallon of milk from
the local HEB, using yorgurt and/or lemon juice as a curdling agent and got
about the same results.  Curds were not especially big, but they were there
and I had cheese.
Still I was ready to try cheese using "real" rennet, so I ordered a kit from
cheesemaking.com and made a batch following Markham's receipt with a gallon
of milk from HEB.  It was not good.  After waiting an hour for curds and not
getting any I added some more of the rennet.  I think I almost had curds at
this point.  I drained the curds and got a ball of soft cheese that was half
the size I had gotten from a half gallon of milk.

So it seems to me, using the vegtable rennet does require this additional
additive to make cheese using homogenized milk, while other curdling agents
may not.

Alexandria