[Sca-cooks] Question to the group....

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Sep 20 19:59:14 PDT 2001

Glenn Crawford wrote:>
> What is a good period sweet red wine?>
> What are period spices for scotland around 1200-1600?
> Winter is coming, which means I cook and bake more and have a house full of
> guinea pigs I mean friends. It is time to experiment with recipes. (Evil
> grin spreads across face)> Thanks again,
> Glenn> (no persona yet, but thinking about one from his ancestral home the
> highlands of scotland)
I can't answer the wine query, as I don't drink wine. And Adamantius did
a good job of covering the spices. I would only point out that
Scotland's
royal family during this period of years intermarried with the royality
of France; this "auld alliance" leads to at least trade between the
courts
of the two countries which would have extended to sought after spices.
In terms of cookbooks on Scotland you ought to pick up a copy of F.
Marian
McNeill's The Scots Kitchen. Its Lore and Recipes. It was originally
printed
in 1929, but is still in print in the U.K. It has all the traditional
recipes.
The current scholar of Scots cookery is Catherine Brown who has written
A Year
in a Scots Kitchen, Feeding Scotland, Scottish Cookery, and From Broth
Bannocks. Check the OP market as not all of these are still in print.
Annette
Hope wrote A Caledonian Feast in 1987 and did the chapter on Scotland's
Glamis
Castle in Traditional Country House Cooking in 1993. Lastly there is
Olive M.
Geddes' The Laird's Kitchen. Three Hundred Years of Food in Scotland.
The National
Library of Scotland published it in 1994.
Hope this provides reading material for the winter.
Johnnae llyn Lewis
Johnna Holloway