[Sca-cooks] Question to the group....

Glenn Crawford gacrwfrd at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 21 07:58:26 PDT 2001

I found these recipes in an on-line cookbook "a Gode Boke"
http://www.godecookery.com/godeboke/godeboke.htm
I don't know if it is a true medieval cookbook or not but it worked for me.

>I'd like to see the recipe and redaction for these:
>>Spiced cabbage

1 large cabbage (approx. 2 lbs.)
2 medium-sized onions, finely chopped
2 medium-sized apples, peeled, cored and cut into ½-inch cubes
1 oz. butter
½ tsp. cinnamon
salt
freshly ground black pepper

Shred or chop the cabbage very fine and plunge it into a saucepan that
contains 4 cups of boiling salted water. Boil covered for 3 minutes, drain
and set aside.

Fry the onions and the apples in the butter until they are soft. Sprinkle
with cinnamon, add the cabbage and toss over low heat for 2 minutes. Season
to taste with salt and pepper, transfer to a serving dish and serve.

>>Half Kede Rosted with Green Sauce

4 to 6 pound kid or lamb roast
1/2 C wine vinegar
Salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450°.

2. Place roast on a rack in a roasting pan, fat side up, and put in oven.
Immediately reduce heat to 325°. Roast for thirty minutes per pound or until
internal temperature reaches 180°.

3. Carve the roast, and put the meat into a serving dish. Sprinkle with
vinegar and salt before serving.

Green Sauce for Lamb

1 C wine vinegar
1/2 C finely minced scallions
1/2 C finely minced parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp powdered ginger
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and allow to marinate for about an
hour before serving. Serve over lamb cut into bite-sized pieces.

Yields one cup of sauce.

>(I've got some goat recipes in goat-msg but I don't think I've
>seen this one.)

> > Dish if Autumn Roots

I don't remember where I found this,

but it is
2c turnip
2c carrot
2c parsnip
2 medium onions
2 threads saffron
cubebs, cinnimon, ginger
(I will email a better copy from home, don't have the recipe a work)

> > Gubbins Sauce

2 oz. butter
3 Tbs. freshly prepared English mustard
3 Tbs. tarragon vinegar
2 cups sour cream
Melt the butter in a double-boiler and add the mustard. Stir in the vinegar
very slowly and add the sour cream gradually. Continue to heat slowly,
stirring frequently. Serve hot.