[Sca-cooks] Peasant food - was Question to the group....

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Sep 21 08:05:08 PDT 2001

johnna holloway wrote:
> Actually there are cookbooks that have peanut butter and jelly
> sandwich recipes. Think about all the juvenile cookbooks that
> show kids how to prepare fun foods. They start with the basic
> pbj and then add the marshmallow cream, the chocolate chips, etc.
> Also how many newspapers have reports on pbj sandwiches being
> banned in classrooms today because of peanut allergies.

Which may actually cost more in district-wide food service costs than
simply establishing a peanut-free school for the few for whom this
allergy is especially dangerous. However...

>  And think
> about the peanut marketing people that produce all those little
> booklets that urge uses for peanuts and peanut butter. As long as
> we still grow the product, there will be references to it in the
> current literature, be it 500 years in the future or 1985. Food
> literature is never just "cookbooks". It includes a full range of
> materials from agriculture, medicine, nutrition, manufacturing,
> botanical, zoological, etc. Then we get into the foodways, folklore,
> religious, literary, etc. accounts.

And accounting accounts. For example, I was shown by Michael LoMonaco
(currently or future-to-be chef of the now non-existent Windows On The
World at the World Trade Center) the actual inventory sheets wherein
policy was shown to provide the materials necessary for a PBJ in the
event that Cary Grant came in and ordered one (okay, this was actually
at The 21 Club, before LoMonaco's time at Windows On the World). Cary
Grant was an old, old man at the time, but the orders stood until his
death and the inventory sheets from that period remain.

However, I see what's being driven at here. It's possible people will
one day question the existence of the PBJ, but as silly as that sounds,
it doesn't add any particular credence to speculation on the things for
which we don't have real proof. It just shows that in the unfortunate
absence of information, what you have left is... no information.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com