[Sca-cooks] Winter - snow and food

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 21 08:54:04 PDT 2001

>Earlier baked bean reference? If it is the real stuff without tomatoes
>*G*, would you share the recipe? I've inherited a bean pot I want to try.
>
>Anne

I use dry navy beans.  Soak overnight then boil them for about 10 minutes in
water to which you add a pinch of baking soda.  Reserve liquid.

chopped onion plus one slice
2T or more dark molasses
1T dry mustard
1 or 2 teaspoons catsup - optional
salt - optional
pepper - optional
1 t worcestershire sauce
thin sliced or cubed salt pork
beer and/or some of the reserved liquid
(add more liquid if the pot gets running dry)

oil the inside of the crock a little.  Place the onion slice on the bottom
with some of the salt pork pieces.  Mix ingredients except for liquid and
put into crock.  Pour liquid over to cover (I use a dark beer).  Check a few
times during cooking that they have enough liquid.
Put pot in a roasting pan as it will likely boil over
Cook slowly overnight or all day

Thanks.  Now I have to make a pot.
Olwen