[Sca-cooks] Thai food (was Galangal)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 21 11:06:33 PDT 2001

Coconut milk isn't expensive.

Begin with *unsweetened* shredded coconut or larger grated coconut.

Put one or two cups of dried coconut in a deep bowl.
Soak in 1 quart and 1 cup warm water.
Let stand for a while - until coconut is very moist - 15 min, or so.
First, strain through a strainer or sieve into another bowl.
Then put coconut into muslin (American definition) or a couple layers
of cheese cloth, and wring really well and firmly to get the richest
part.

Voila! Coconut milk.

Anahita
who used to cook LOTS of Southeast Asian food calling for coconut milk