[Sca-cooks] Irish recipies

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 21 11:00:31 PDT 2001

Druighad at aol.com wrote:

> OFC: I am looking for 5-6th century Celtic(Irish-Celt)recipes but am having a
> great deal of difficulty as the written word didn't get to Eriu until those
> darn priests got there.Hmph. Can anyone give me any ideas where to look
> except the Book Of Kells?

Going through the Brehon Laws, Tain and other bardic sources with a fine-toothed
comb is all I can suggest.  You won't like everything you see.  Cuchulain would
not have had to get a geas against eating dog meat if that were not something
that he might encounter, yesno?  On the other hand, there is a set of
instructions for the cooking-pits of the Fianna, one of which resembles nothing
more than the Hawaiian Luau!  I'll try to dig something up [eeek, pun
unintentional or at least unconscious!] when I get home.

Selene, Caid