[Sca-cooks] anything like period fig newtons?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Sep 21 23:34:18 PDT 2001

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Is there any evidence for period filled pastries, perhaps even
> something like a fig newton?

I have in the back of my head something but my brain is currently giving
me the 404...

However, Canisiones are filled pastry, and once when I was tired of
almond sludge I made some fig sludge and made them that way. Of course
everyone said "Hey! Medieval fig newtons!" You can make them with other
fruit too.

And no, Ras, I don't _call_ them Canisiones when I do that, because I've
altered the recipe. But I can imagine I'm not the first one to put
something besides almosds into them :-)

Medieval Newtons, some nice cheese, and a bit of beer or light wine...
yum. Now if I could just find the owner of this big yaller dawg- he's
drooling on my shoes...

'Lainie