[Sca-cooks] baked beans

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Sep 22 14:32:06 PDT 2001

Anne asked:
> I know that many of our standard beans are from the Americas. But I do
> know that some were available in Europe, and some other pulses, legumes,
> etc.
>
> Off hand I think lentils, favas, peas, chick peas? But what others, and
> how would I find out?

We've had some discussion on this. There are still some arguments in
some cases about which beans some period recipes are talking about.
However, here are two files in the FOOD-VEGETABLES section of the
Florilegium that might answer some of your questions (and raise some
more):
beans-msg        (119K)  6/ 9/00    Medieval, old-world beans. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/beans-msg.html
peas-msg          (57K)  1/ 5/00    Period peas. Pea broth. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/peas-msg.html
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net