[Sca-cooks] Simple and Authentic

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Sat Sep 22 18:21:49 PDT 2001

What keeps your "father" from buying Olives packed in brine or oil by the
barrel and shipping them upriver the way they did in the rest of the world?

Regina

Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Simple and Authentic

> My persona is a traveler and a son of a wealthy Italian merchant (which
would
> make my persona a quarter Russian, quarter German, and half Italian). And
> wasn't thinking so much of the periodicity of it. I would think olives in
> Russia would be period because Rus was located near the Mediterranean and
> didn't part of the Ottoman EMpire reside in the Balkans which could have
> introduced the olive?

I don't think olives grow very well in any part of
the Kievan Rus (checking school atlas - nope, the
northern boundary of modern olive cultivation
skirts the southern Black Sea coast), but olive
oil was a trade good in the later middle ages
(witness many period German and English cookbooks)
and anyone involved in trade would be able to get
their hands on it, through Novgorod or the Black
Sea ports. Where you can take olive oil you can
take pickled olives . . . so now you need a reason
for your persona to want to.

Giano