Correction was:Re: [Sca-cooks] Bidding for Count Gunthar

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sat Sep 22 18:37:23 PDT 2001

chirhart_1 wrote:

> Oh ya Mt st Helen what took out most of the forest and the grapes!Still
> looking for those hikers.
>               Chirhart(yea Ibet ya was swimming in rosted goats after that)
> hehe

Silly person. Look at a map. Mt St. Helens is quite a ways up there. Yes
it blew up- it does this every thousand years or so. But it gave us
plenty of warning, and I don't know of any hikers that were lost- the
mountain had been closed to hikers for some time. We lost BLM personnel,
a bunch of scientists, and a cranky old man named Harry Truman who
refused to leave his lodge. We lost quite a few board feet of timber,
and some wildlife- though not much- they left long before she blew. And
we lost Spirit Lake, which was beautiful beyond words.

But if you went up there now- the trees are coming right along, and
underbrush is long since back, and the birds and squirrels and deer and
bear and all that are back. (I understand they actually have a few too
many deer.)

The actual blast got nowhere near Portland. A couple of small towns got
hit by mudslides, but they were much closer. What most of the populated
areas got was ash, and lots of it. Like snow, only gritty and grey,
rather a fine talcum powder. The grapes probably had some ash on them,
but you can wash it off.

And it roasted no goats. We have to do that ourselves. Hasn't been that
long since Seumas did the roasted goat for Investiture... hmm...

BTW, even after she blew her cork, St Helens is far bigger than one of
those alleged mountains on the east coast...  ;-D)

'Lainie
one of my brothers still had a jar full of ash...